The microstructure of thses cells is unusual and new terminology had to be determined to describe their structures:
|Feature||Equivalent in normal cells|
|sarcoplasmic reticulum||smooth endoplasmic reticulum|
- Myosin - a thick, dark filament that makes up the A band.
- Actin filaments - a thin, light filament that makes up the I band.
- Titin - an elastic filament.
These three types of filament will work together to bring about muscle contraction.
This basic structure can be found in skeletal muscle cells, as this is where voluntary contraction takes place. Smooth muscle cells (involuntary contraction) and cardiac muscle cells are structurally different.
- ↑ Albert D, et al (2012). Dorland's illustrated medical dictionary. (32nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Saunders/Elsevier. p. 321.
- ↑ Saladin, K (2012). Anatomy &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Physiology: The Unity of Form and Function (6th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill. pp. 403–405.
- ↑ Alberts et. al., 2015, Molecular Biology of the Cell Sixth Edition, New York, Garland Science, Pages 917-925