Carrier

From The School of Biomedical Sciences Wiki
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Added a reference, corrected sentences)
Line 1: Line 1:
A carrier is an organism that carries a disease without showing any signs or [[Symptom|symptoms]]. If the disease is genetic, the carrier will be [[Heterozygous|heterozygous]], with a [[Dominant allele|dominant]], healthy [[Allele|allele]] and a [[Recessive alleles|reccessive allele]] for the [[Disease|disease]] state. In the event of two carriers mating, there is a 25% chance their offspring will be affected by the disease, 50% chance of the offspring being carriers too or a 25% chance of the offspring being healthy and not a carrier.  
+
A carrier is an organism that carries a disease without showing any&nbsp;[[Symptom|symptoms]]. If the disease is genetic, the carrier will be [[Heterozygous|heterozygous]], with a [[Dominant allele|dominant]], healthy [[Allele|allele]] and a [[Recessive alleles|reccessive allele]] for the [[Disease|disease]] state. In the event of two carriers mating, there is a 25% chance their offspring will be affected by the disease, 50% chance of the offspring being carriers or a 25% chance of the offspring being healthy and not a carrier<ref>D.L. Hartl, E.W.Jones.(2000)Genetics:analysis of genes and genomes, 5th edition. Sudbury, Jones and Bartlett publishers</ref>.  
  
 
An example of this is [[Cystic Fibrosis|Cystic Fibrosis]], where 1 in 25 of the white population are carriers of the CF gene, showing no signs of having CF themselves.  
 
An example of this is [[Cystic Fibrosis|Cystic Fibrosis]], where 1 in 25 of the white population are carriers of the CF gene, showing no signs of having CF themselves.  
  
A [[Punnett Square|Punnett Square]] showing two carriers mating: (H is healthy, [[Dominant allele|dominant allele]], h is [[Recessive alleles|recessive]] for disease state)  
+
A [[Punnett Square|Punnett Square]] showing two carriers mating: (H is healthy, [[Dominant allele|dominant allele]], h is [[Recessive alleles|recessive]] for disease state) indicates how alleles from each parent cross.
  
 
{| cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" width="200" border="1"
 
{| cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" width="200" border="1"
Line 19: Line 19:
 
| hh
 
| hh
 
|}
 
|}
 +
 +
<br>
 +
 +
==== References&nbsp;  ====
 +
 +
<references />

Revision as of 11:53, 4 December 2017

A carrier is an organism that carries a disease without showing any symptoms. If the disease is genetic, the carrier will be heterozygous, with a dominant, healthy allele and a reccessive allele for the disease state. In the event of two carriers mating, there is a 25% chance their offspring will be affected by the disease, 50% chance of the offspring being carriers or a 25% chance of the offspring being healthy and not a carrier[1].

An example of this is Cystic Fibrosis, where 1 in 25 of the white population are carriers of the CF gene, showing no signs of having CF themselves.

A Punnett Square showing two carriers mating: (H is healthy, dominant allele, h is recessive for disease state) indicates how alleles from each parent cross.

H h
H HH Hh
h Hh hh


References 

  1. D.L. Hartl, E.W.Jones.(2000)Genetics:analysis of genes and genomes, 5th edition. Sudbury, Jones and Bartlett publishers
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox