Human genome

From The School of Biomedical Sciences Wiki
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Rephrased sentence to make meaning more clear)
(Cleaned up the text. Cleaned up the references.)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The human genome is the entire genetic material that is found within [[Homo sapiens|Homo sapiens]].<ref>Science Daily-Accessed from :http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/h/human_genome.htmfckLROn [19-11-2014]</ref> The genome comes in the form of a [[DNA|DNA]] code that is found as 23 linear [[Chromosomes|chromosomes]]; all of which are found within the [[Nucleus|nucleus]] of every [[Haploid|haploid]] cell, and smaller sequences that are found in [[Mitochondria|Mitochondria]].<ref>Natural Human Genome Research institute- Accessed from -http://www.genome.gov/26524120fckLRAccessed [19-11-2014]fckLREdited [8-05-2012]</ref> The genome’s DNA contains approximately (20,000-25,000) [[Proteins|protein]]-encoding [[Genes|genes]], as well as [[Introns|introns]] and sections associated with DNA regulation.<ref>Science museum-Accessed from http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/WhoAmI/FindOutMore/Yourgenes/Whatwasthehumangenomeproject/WhatdidtheHumanGenomeProjectfind/Howmanygenesdoyouhave.aspxfckLRAcccessed [19-11-2014]</ref> Around 99.9% of every humans’ genome is identical, with the other 0.1% accounting for the variation between individuals.<ref>National Human Genome Research institute -Accessed from-http://www.genome.gov/17516714fckLRAccessed [19-11-2014]fckLREdited [15-07-2011]</ref><br>
+
The human genome is the entire genetic material that is found within [[Homo sapiens|Homo sapiens]]<ref>Science Daily-Accessed from :http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/h/human_genome.htm On [19-11-2014]</ref>. The genome comes in the form of a [[DNA|DNA]] code that is found as 23 linear [[Chromosomes|chromosomes]]; all of which are found within the [[Nucleus|nucleus]] of every [[Haploid|haploid]] cell, and smaller sequences that are found in [[Mitochondria|Mitochondria]]<ref>Natural Human Genome Research institute- Accessed from -http://www.genome.gov/26524120 Accessed [19-11-2014] Edited [8-05-2012]</ref>. The genome’s DNA contains approximately (20,000-25,000) [[Proteins|protein]]-encoding [[Genes|genes]], as well as [[Introns|introns]] and sections associated with DNA regulation<ref>Science museum-Accessed from http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/WhoAmI/FindOutMore/Yourgenes/Whatwasthehumangenomeproject/WhatdidtheHumanGenomeProjectfind/Howmanygenesdoyouhave.aspx Acccessed [19-11-2014]</ref>. Around 99.9% of every humans’ genome is identical, with the other 0.1% accounting for the variation between individuals<ref>National Human Genome Research institute -Accessed from-http://www.genome.gov/17516714 Accessed [19-11-2014] Edited [15-07-2011]</ref>.
  
The genome was first fully sequenced collaboratively in 2003 by the [[Human genome project|Human Genome Project]].<ref>Science Museum- Accessed from http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/whoami/findoutmore/yourgenes/whatwasthehumangenomeproject.aspxfckLRAccessed [19-11-2014]</ref> As of 2014, multiple individuals have had their genomes sequenced and so has led many to believe genome sequencing could one day become a part of everyday [[Clinical analysis|clinical analysis]]. Sequencing the human genome allows specific identification of the genetic causes of a disease and so allows for the possibility of [[Personalised treatment|personalised treatment]].<br>
+
The genome was first fully sequenced collaboratively in 2003 by the [[Human genome project|Human Genome Project]]<ref>Science Museum- Accessed from http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/whoami/findoutmore/yourgenes/whatwasthehumangenomeproject.aspx Accessed [19-11-2014]</ref>. As of 2014, multiple individuals have had their genomes sequenced and so has led many to believe genome sequencing could one day become a part of every day [[Clinical analysis|clinical analysis]]. Sequencing the human genome allows specific identification of the genetic causes of a disease and so allows for the possibility of [[Personalised treatment|personalised treatment]].  
  
Even though the genome is almost completely sequenced, not everything is understood about it. For example, the exact number of genes is still not known, or even whether certain sections of DNA are in fact genes; only about 1.5% of the entire genome is completely known to be associated with protein-encoding genes.<ref>Cold Spring Harbor laboratory-DNA Learning Center- Accessed from- http://www.dnalc.org/resources/3d/09-how-much-dna-codes-for-protein.htmlfckLRAccessed [19-11-2014]</ref><br>
+
Even though the genome is almost completely sequenced, not everything is understood about it. For example, the exact number of genes is still not known, or even whether certain sections of DNA are in fact genes; only about 1.5% of the entire genome is completely known to be associated with protein-encoding genes<ref>Cold Spring Harbor laboratory-DNA Learning Center- Accessed from- http://www.dnalc.org/resources/3d/09-how-much-dna-codes-for-protein.html Accessed [19-11-2014]</ref>.
 
+
<br>
+
  
 
=== References  ===
 
=== References  ===
  
 
<references />
 
<references />

Latest revision as of 20:11, 6 December 2018

The human genome is the entire genetic material that is found within Homo sapiens[1]. The genome comes in the form of a DNA code that is found as 23 linear chromosomes; all of which are found within the nucleus of every haploid cell, and smaller sequences that are found in Mitochondria[2]. The genome’s DNA contains approximately (20,000-25,000) protein-encoding genes, as well as introns and sections associated with DNA regulation[3]. Around 99.9% of every humans’ genome is identical, with the other 0.1% accounting for the variation between individuals[4].

The genome was first fully sequenced collaboratively in 2003 by the Human Genome Project[5]. As of 2014, multiple individuals have had their genomes sequenced and so has led many to believe genome sequencing could one day become a part of every day clinical analysis. Sequencing the human genome allows specific identification of the genetic causes of a disease and so allows for the possibility of personalised treatment.

Even though the genome is almost completely sequenced, not everything is understood about it. For example, the exact number of genes is still not known, or even whether certain sections of DNA are in fact genes; only about 1.5% of the entire genome is completely known to be associated with protein-encoding genes[6].

References

  1. Science Daily-Accessed from :http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/h/human_genome.htm On [19-11-2014]
  2. Natural Human Genome Research institute- Accessed from -http://www.genome.gov/26524120 Accessed [19-11-2014] Edited [8-05-2012]
  3. Science museum-Accessed from http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/WhoAmI/FindOutMore/Yourgenes/Whatwasthehumangenomeproject/WhatdidtheHumanGenomeProjectfind/Howmanygenesdoyouhave.aspx Acccessed [19-11-2014]
  4. National Human Genome Research institute -Accessed from-http://www.genome.gov/17516714 Accessed [19-11-2014] Edited [15-07-2011]
  5. Science Museum- Accessed from http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/whoami/findoutmore/yourgenes/whatwasthehumangenomeproject.aspx Accessed [19-11-2014]
  6. Cold Spring Harbor laboratory-DNA Learning Center- Accessed from- http://www.dnalc.org/resources/3d/09-how-much-dna-codes-for-protein.html Accessed [19-11-2014]
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox