Human genome

From The School of Biomedical Sciences Wiki
Revision as of 20:11, 6 December 2018 by Nnjm2 (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

The human genome is the entire genetic material that is found within Homo sapiens[1]. The genome comes in the form of a DNA code that is found as 23 linear chromosomes; all of which are found within the nucleus of every haploid cell, and smaller sequences that are found in Mitochondria[2]. The genome’s DNA contains approximately (20,000-25,000) protein-encoding genes, as well as introns and sections associated with DNA regulation[3]. Around 99.9% of every humans’ genome is identical, with the other 0.1% accounting for the variation between individuals[4].

The genome was first fully sequenced collaboratively in 2003 by the Human Genome Project[5]. As of 2014, multiple individuals have had their genomes sequenced and so has led many to believe genome sequencing could one day become a part of every day clinical analysis. Sequencing the human genome allows specific identification of the genetic causes of a disease and so allows for the possibility of personalised treatment.

Even though the genome is almost completely sequenced, not everything is understood about it. For example, the exact number of genes is still not known, or even whether certain sections of DNA are in fact genes; only about 1.5% of the entire genome is completely known to be associated with protein-encoding genes[6].


  1. Science Daily-Accessed from : On [19-11-2014]
  2. Natural Human Genome Research institute- Accessed from - Accessed [19-11-2014] Edited [8-05-2012]
  3. Science museum-Accessed from Acccessed [19-11-2014]
  4. National Human Genome Research institute -Accessed from- Accessed [19-11-2014] Edited [15-07-2011]
  5. Science Museum- Accessed from Accessed [19-11-2014]
  6. Cold Spring Harbor laboratory-DNA Learning Center- Accessed from- Accessed [19-11-2014]
Personal tools