Molecular chaperones are proteins which its function is to help proteins in their folding process. It helps in folding the newly synthesised protein into correct orientation for their specific functions.
There are three types of chaperones :
- Folding chaperones : helps in folding of newly synthesised proteins.
- Holding chaperones : binds to misfolded proteins and transfer them to folding chaperones.
- Unfolding chaperones : unfold misfolded proteins for degradation using proteasome unit during proteostasis.
- ↑ https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/biochemistry-genetics-and-molecular-biology/chaperone-protein
- ↑ https://www.nature.com/articles/nature10317
- ↑ https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4340576/