Resource Development Rooms
To assist staff to create pre-recorded video content for teaching a suite of rooms on campus have been provisioned as Resource Development Rooms for staff to use throughout Semester 1.
Video content from the teaching PC, visualiser and web cam, and audio from the USB microphone on the AV lectern, can be recorded using ReCap Personal Capture (PCap), which can then be uploaded to the VLE.
Please note that these facilities are not intended as a resource for staff to recreate 50 minute lecture recordings. We strongly recommend that you review the information in the Flexible Learning online course for guidance on best practice around the pedagogical aspects of recording content.
All enabled Resource Development Rooms are located on the Ground Floor of Ridley 2 Building (Rooms 1.42, 1.43, 1.44, 1.45, 1.46, 1.47, 1.48, 1.49, 1.50 & 1.52)
How to book
To ensure safety rooms must be booked via Resource Booker in advance.
Gaining access to the rooms
For safety the Ridley building is smartcard controlled however please be aware that your regular University smartcard will not work. To gain access to the Resource Development Rooms you will need to collect a smartcard from University Security Office at Barrass Bridge. Please ensure that you return the smartcard after use.
Safety and hygiene
All rooms have been risk assessed by ESS, please do not move any of the furniture. Only one person at a time is allowed in the room.
Please ensure you follow University Health and Safety guidelines regarding social distancing at all times. Anti-bacterial wipes are provided in each room and must be used to clean the workstations and equipment prior to and after use.
How to use the technology
- Log on to the teaching PC, do not use the AV control panel
- Launch the ReCap Personal Capture (PCap) software by opening the Windows Start Menu. typing 'PCap' and clicking on the PCap app *
- Once launched, check and select the sources that you wish to capture and the folder that you wish to record your content to
- Press Record to start your recording and deliver your content, staying close to the AV lectern to ensure best quality audio
- When finished, press Stop and the recording will automatically process
- Once processed, select Manage Recordings then Manage My Recordings and share as required within the appropriate area in your respective VLE
- Log out of the PC, do not shut it down
* Note that on first time you may need to log in to Panopto via the appropriate authentication method
- Flexible Learning online Course - https://services.ncl.ac.uk/digitallearning/flex/flexiblelearningonlinecourse/
- Creating new recordings using PCap - https://services.ncl.ac.uk/digitallearning/guides/recap/pcap/
- Managing recordings and publishing to Canvas - https://services.ncl.ac.uk/digitallearning/guides/recap/edit-publish/
instructions PDF 175Kb
Downloadable instructions on how to use the technology